Sunday 21 February 2010

Training Week 12 Recap

Hi guys,

Here's this week's recap of my training. I said in my last recap that I was going to "up the ante" this week, so let's see if I did it this time.

Tuesday
Type: Intervals
Time and Distance: 70 mins, 14.85 km.
Detail: 10 mins at 10.5 km/h pace. 7 x 1600m at 14.1 - 14.6 & 15.0 km/h pace, with 2 mins recovery at 8 km/h pace after intervals.

Thursday
Type: Easy/Tempo
Time and Distance: 70 mins, 13 km.
Detail: 40 mins between 8 - 12 km/h pace. 20 min tempo session between 12 - 14 km/h pace. 10 mins at 10.5 - 11 km/h pace.

Saturday
Type: Long
Time and Distance: 143 mins 45 secs, 28.8 km.
Detail: First half at 75 mins. Second half at 68 mins 45 secs.

Sunday
Type: Easy
Time and Distance: 60 mins, 10.5 km.
Detail: Recovery run after Saturday's long run.

Total Weekly Distance: 67.15 km.

Comments: Well I did "up the ante" this week, increasing my weekly mileage, and the effort of my harder runs. I may have probably gone too hard on my Tuesday run; the day after I felt a niggle in my left hamstring. Fearing I could be close to tearing it, I decided to tone down Thursday's tempo run. I was a bit concerned about how I would fare on Saturday's long run, especially since I intended to increase the distance, but I managed to get through that relatively unscathed. The niggles have all but subsided now, but this is something to be aware of. Hamstring injuries can be potentially devastating.

Improvements: Not really an improvement, but I intend to tone down the interval runs. I'm keen to run the same number of intervals and more, but I think the pace needs to be just a little bit slower. I'm keen to exceed the long run to over 30 km, but not sure if this is going to happen though. Next week is "moving house week" for me, so I'm afraid I'll have to postpone the long run to another weekend if moving house is going to be troublesome.

I mentioned in one of my past recaps that I was going to include some pictures to improve my blog and make for more interesting reading. It's been a long time coming, but I've just taken some pictures during my easy run this afternoon. First up, some English geography. Honestly, I went in the direction of Oxford.

After turning back, I paid a visit to Donnington Castle.
And a view of Newbury from the top of the hill. I admit it's not as exciting as the view on top of Mt Eden back in my home town of Auckland, New Zealand, but it's a pleasant view nonetheless. There is the odd couple on the hill, probably waiting for a sunset or something.
Now it can be awkward to take pictures on the run, so I'm only going to take my camera along on my easier runs. I don't think it would be worthwhile to do it while running my guts out, or on the treadmill! ;-)

In other news, the Reading Half Marathon is exactly one month away. That would give me two more weeks of hard quality running (but not at the expense of more niggles in my hamstrings), and two weeks of easier stuff. I'm really aiming to do well in this event, so here's hoping I can give it my best. In addition, the Regional Director of my company has kindly transported my last running pair of shoes back over from Spain, the adidas adiSTAR Salvation. I'll be wearing this pair of shoes as wearing adidas gives me entry into their VIP tent, where I'll get a free massage and free food. Free stuff is always good, massages are great, and I'll happily eat all food after a race. Plus, I'm an adidas junkie.

Taking it easy (for now),

Aaron