Thursday 18 February 2010

What Music Do I Listen To?

Hey y'all,

Over the years I've mostly run without music. It was only relatively recently (beginning of 2009) that my iPod Touch now accompanies me on pretty much every run I do.

Since then, I've compiled a master playlist of songs on iTunes which I sync onto my iPod. On training runs, all I do is play the entire playlist on shuffle mode (obviously I don't go through the entire playlist, even on my longer runs), and I think it helps me greatly. The music, rhythm and lyrics gives some sort of boost psychologically, which somehow translates to a bigger effort.

In an event situation, I select a subset of songs that will last as long as my intended target time for the event. I often joke that if the playlist finishes I stop running. Actually I have enough songs on the playlist to last the target time, plus a little bit more in case I don't achieve it.

The majority of songs are pretty much hard sounding songs, with loud lyrics, guitars, solid beats... pretty much anything to bang your head to. Some songs have running overtones to them which pretty much gets everyone moving when they're played. However, last week, I decided to run with instrumental piano music as the run was supposed to be an easy recovery run. And it was actually quite refreshing from the norm of listening to harder-sounding songs. Accompanied with the scenery at the time (the sunset, the hills, the fields and the stream), it was the perfect experience.

As my master playlist is too large to mention, I've selected my favourites that will always make it in any running event I do. I've even supplied embedded links to the almighty YouTube.

Nightrain (Live Era '87-'93 version) - Guns N' Roses
My first song on the playlist, and the first song that Guns N' Roses play in their Live Era concert. Best lyrics: I'm on the nightrain. And I'm ready to crash an' burn.

Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

Probably the most clichéd song, but it's a damn good booster no matter how you're feeling. Best lyrics: I'm burning through the skies Yeah! Two hundred degrees That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit. I'm trav'ling at the speed of light I wanna make a supersonic man out of you.

Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters
Great thumping beat, overdriven guitar, just a great song to run to. The music video is hilarious too! Best lyrics: I'm looking to the sky to save me, Looking for a sign of life (sign of life), Looking for something to help me burn out bright.

Human - The Killers

This is probably the song that could keep me running on and on and on. If I put this song on repeat, I wonder how many miles I'd hammer out before I come to my senses! The drumbeat in the intro sounds like a heartbeat of a runner too. Best lyrics: Close your eyes, clear your heart, Cut the cord.

Verona - Elemeno P

Good old Kiwi punk rock. More overdriven guitar, pulsating bass, crashing drums, another great song to run to. Best lyrics: The entire song!

It's My Life - Bon Jovi

Bon Jovi have made some great songs, this is probably my favourite one to run to. The guy in the music video running en-route to the underground concert, and even running a part of the marathon, is a great effect! Best lyrics: The entire chorus!

Lose Yourself - Eminem

Eminem's best song. No matter what you think about him, he's very good at what he does. The first lines of the song about only having one shot just spurs me on. Best lyrics: The entire song, again!

99 Luftballons - Nena (Old Live Version)
I absolutely love this song, and it's even better in German. When I ran the Berlin Marathon last year, the start of the marathon was marked with the release of thousands of balloons into the Berlin sky. It immediately reminded me of this song. Unfortunately I cannot find the Old Live Version on YouTube, so I had to settle for this. Nena looks great for 50! Best lyrics: The entire song, again!

We Built This City On Rock And Roll - Starship
One of the best songs from the '80s. The best music year would have to be the '80s, you have to agree! Bring back the big hair!

Training Montage/Heart's On Fire - Rocky IV

Doesn't this training montage from Rocky IV make you want to train as hard as Rocky and Drago? I have huge respect for Stallone as an actor and an athlete. Some of the stuff he can pull off in that video is amazing! Though I'm not too keen on running in the snow though.

Well that's basically my best running songs. I'd be keen to hear yours so I can improve on my master playlist.

Enjoy!

Aaron