Sunday 17 January 2010

Training Week 7 Recap

Hi guys,

I've just come back from a weekend in Granada, and it's straight to this week's recap. Unfortunately I did no running over there, but managed to keep on my feet the whole time walking around the town and the Alhambra, a historic complex of palaces and gardens dating back to the 14th century. Here's another recap on my training for week 7.

Monday
Type: Easy with hills.
Time and Distance: 36 mins 28 secs, 7.4 km.
Detail: First half at 19:12. Second half at 17:16.

Tuesday
Type: Intervals.
Time and Distance: 60 mins, 10.9 km.
Detail: 20 mins at 10.5 km/h pace. 4 x 200m at 16.0 km/h pace, followed by 1 min at 8.0 pace. 2 x 400m at 16.0 pace, followed by 2 mins at 8.0 pace. 1 x 800m at 16.0 pace, followed by 4 mins at 8.0 pace. 1 x 1000m at 16.0 pace, followed by 5 mins at 8.0 pace.

Wednesday
Type: Easy with hills.
Time and Distance: 36 mins 49 secs, 7.4 km.
Detail: First half at 19:20. Second half at 17:29.

Thursday
Type: Tempo.
Time and Distance: 60 mins, 12.1 km.
Detail: 20 mins at 10.5 km/h pace. 20 mins at 13.7 km/h pace. 10 mins at 14.2 km/h pace. 10 mins at 10.5 km/h pace.

Total Weekly Distance: 37.8 km.

Comments: The Thursday tempo run was a pretty hard effort, but I'm quite happy with the run. The Tuesday interval session felt manageable. It's likely that I'll keep the pace as it is, but decrease the amount of rest time between intervals and/or increase the length of each interval. While I did more intense running this week, I'm not too happy with the total mileage I've managed to scrap together this week, due to the fact that I didn't do any weekend run. It's not looking to improve in the next week, as I have an urgent trip to the UK in the middle of the week which I need to prepare for. Unfortunately I'll have to manage this as best as I can.

Improvements: Since the weekly mileage next week looks like it's going to be quite low again, I'm going to have to increase the intensity of my training runs this week, and/or run a bit longer on days where I can run. For the tempo run, I'm looking to increase the time spent on running the tempo session. Currently it's at 30 mins, so I'll probably increase it to 40 mins at current pace. For the interval run, I'll be focusing on running longer intervals, i.e. concentrate on running 1000m intervals at 16.0 km/h pace. With time a rare commodity this coming week, I'll probably won't do any easy running.

In terms of total weekly mileage, 37 km is way too low. With the limited amount of time available to me this coming week, I'm going to have to plan it quite well to make sure that I get the very most out of this week's training.

Best,

Aaron