Wednesday 6 January 2010

Prologue

Hi,

Let me start off by saying how excited I am to start this blog. This blog will document my journey to break the 3-hour barrier in the marathon. It's a goal I have set for myself in 2010, and I have targeted a specific marathon this year which I hope to run 3 hours in. The 3-hour barrier is the ultimate aim for most marathoners, the holy grail for amateur marathon runners like myself, and a qualification time for the most prestigious marathons in the world.

Aside from recording my journey, I'm starting this blog to put myself out there, to make my intentions known, to make myself accountable and to keep myself motivated throughout the year. A year is a very very long time for a runner so it's important that I don't lose momentum, peak at the wrong time, or burn myself out before the big event.

I'm usually quite good on the goal setting, however this time-based goal is a step above the rest. Having not come close to this time before, it's a grand challenge with huge potential for catastrophe. Whether it's a great success or a big failure it will be a learning process and a voyage of self-discovery. The most important thing is that I'm going to try.

However, I will need help along the way. It's a big challenge and it would be more difficult if I had to do everything on my own. As well as trying to achieve my sporting dreams, I also need to earn a living and try to fit in time for other interests and necessities. Sometimes reality often unfolds quite differently from our clean efficient plans. When planning for a marathon, we can't forsee days when we are sick, tired or even injured. Life intervenes in other ways too, such as work pressures, family and friends.

You may be asking, "how can I help if you are the one doing the actual training and the running?" Well, a little bit goes a long way. Whether you have a great idea for training, offering to accompany me on my long runs, suggesting a great food recipe, or even imparting some words of wisdom or encouragement, or something else... no matter how big or small, it will only help to make the journey smoother. And it will be much appreciated.

It's not going to be easy, but with your help it will be easier.

To close, I'm excited about this challenge for 2010. Incidentally, 2010 in the Chinese horoscope is the year of the Tiger. I'm not a follower of horoscopes, but I think that the challenge that I've set for myself will require me to adopt the spirit and the characteristics of the Tiger - to be courageous, bold and self-assured in whatever I embark on and encounter along the way.

The challenge starts now, and I am looking forward to it. If you like to see how things unfold over time, feel free to follow or subscribe to the blog feed. And if you'd like to help out in some way, it would be greatly appreciated. As always I appreciate you reading these entries and the comments that you may offer.

Yours in running,

Aaron