Sunday 4 July 2010

Training Week 31 Recap

Hey guys,

This has been a very hard week for me, with work commitments suddenly increasing and also a "relocation" tossed in for good measure (more on that later)! The good thing is that I've managed to bank all my runs this week and the mileage has really started to go up into new heights. Here's how this week went.

Monday
Type: Recovery
Time and Distance: 28 mins 36 secs, 4.1 km.

Tuesday
Type: Recovery
Time and Distance: 28 mins 29 secs, 4.2 km.

Type: Threshold
Time and Distance: 70 mins 43secs, 13.3 km.
Detail: Warm up for 15 mins. 3 x 12 mins at threshold pace. Each 12 mins covered around 2800-2900m.

Wednesday
Type: Recovery
Time and Distance: 44 mins 12 secs, 6.7 km.

Thursday
Type: Easy long run
Time and Distance: 75 mins, 14.9 km.

Saturday
Type: Continuous hills
Time and Distance: 63 mins 18 secs, 10.8 km.
Detail: 15 mins warmup. 3 sets of 10 mins at threshold with 90 seconds recovery. 15 mins cooldown.

Type: Recovery
Time and Distance: 30 mins, 4.42 km.

Sunday
Type: Long run
Time and Distance: 105 mins, 20.4 km.

Total Weekly Distance: 78.82 km

Comments: Huge mileage this week, and even more remarkable was that I did this in a crazy week. The long runs are getting longer, and the threshold runs are building up in frequency. It's hard to put in 8 runs a week consistently, especially when work decides to start ruling your life, so I am hoping that I keep banking those miles again and again.

Improvements: Week 5 of the sub-3 hours training programme is starting to become very serious. The long run is now 2 hours, the hill sessions are harder, and the threshold runs are now starting to be mixed up with real pace work, i.e. running at speeds close to my 10K pace. 10K pace is going to be faster than my threshold pace, so expect high mileage this week!

I mentioned the dreaded word "relocation" earlier, and I've decided to relocate to Oslo, Norway, in mid-July for around 3 or so months, to experience a new culture and working environment (still working with the same company). While relocation is never a good thing to go through (all that packing and moving and the stress of it all), hopefully the cooler Oslo climate will help with my running. It's crazy hot here in the UK and the heat is making the running a little uncomfortable. I've had to rearrange my running schedule to only run when it's cool, but the sun is already out and blazing at 7:30 a.m. in the morning, and I'm not really a morning person as well.

Now, off to do some packing, and also to catch the Wimbledon final on TV!

Cheers!

Aaron